Friday, December 9, 2011

Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps

Hola! Sorry I miss you guys last night, I got busy cuddling on the couch with my honey. Bellies stuffed, we were pitiful! Hope everyone is enjoying their Friday, I love Fridays, even though I stay home, it still has a certain feel.  I love Thai food, next to Italian it's my favorite.  So we have lettuce wraps quite a bit in our house. They are fast and easy, it is a "serve yourself" kind of dish, and so it gives mommy a break too! These are made out of ground turkey, and shredded cabbage (cole slaw mix). Here ya go...
(I was only able to take one picture of the finished product, due to angry toddler/ankle biter lol)


Turkey Lettuce Wraps

You will need:
1 lb ground turkey (you can also use ground pork, or left over cut up pork chops)
1 1/2 cups shredded white cabbage (I use cole slaw mix, because it has carrots in it one less step)
1 can water chestnuts, diced and drained (you can buy these already diced in most stores, they will be with all the Asian inspired food.)
3 tbsp lite soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil
handful of chopped cilantro
1/2 cup roasted, skinless peanuts
2 limes
2 heads ice burg lettuce
1 tsp ground ginger

Directions:
Peel off the first couple of layers from lettuce heads, making sure to get the soft "bendable" leaves. The closer to the center you get the crispier the lettuce is. Wash lettuce leaves well, and place in bowl. Chill in fridge while you make the filling!
In a large pan or wok, brown ground turkey. Drain to drain off any fat or grease, return turkey to pan.  Add cabbage to pan and cook until wilted, squeeze the juice of one lime over mixture. Add in chestnuts, soy sauce, sesame oil, cilantro, ginger and peanuts. Cook until steaming! Serve with lime slices, I like mine extra tangy!

No comments:

Post a Comment